Friday, March 13, 2015

4-WHEELING TO THE SUMMIT OF VOLCÁN BARÚ

Volcán Barú is a dormant volcano that last erupted about 500 years ago and is the highest peak in Panama at 3,475 meters (11,400 feet).   On a clear day from the top, one can see both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.  Reaching the summit of Volcán Barú has been on my "bucket list" of things to do, and last weekend I had the opportunity to make it happen.  While one can do the 13.5 kilometer climb from the ranger station up the volcano, which takes about 4 hours each way, I chose to leave at 4am with a guide and make the trip in a 4-wheel drive Jeep so that I could be at the top for sunrise.

The drive up the volcano in the darkness, and down during the daytime, was half the adventure, while our skillful driver maneuvered the Jeep up and around giant rocks and boulders.  I was not prepared for this part of the journey, and immediately when our Jeep came up against multiple boulders in the road, my first thought was, "Where is the road?  All I see ahead are giant rocks blocking us.  There is no way we are going to get this vehicle around this!"  Well, I was wrong.  Our well-seasoned guide, Antonio, did not hesitate in the least bit, and rolled down his window to help navigate the vehicle alongside the road while the right-hand-side of the car was tipped at a 45 degree angle since it's wheels were moving not around, but over a boulder.  How he managed to do this in the dark with just the Jeep's headlights guiding the way, is beyond me.  After a very bumpy and harrowing 2-hour drive to the top, we arrived safely and had a few minutes to spare before sunrise - perfect timing!  Unfortunately, the weather conditions were not on our side, and the clouds blocked all views to the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.  Nonetheless, the sunrise and cloud-covered views were impressive, and the experience of being on top of Panama's highest peak was pretty cool.  I truly felt "on top of the world".


Sunrise









At the summit of Volcán Barú








This was a truly amazing sight!  In this picture I'm standing alongside the cross at the summit of Volcán Barú, overlooking the clouds and watching the early morning sunrise.  Off to the right are Panama's communication towers.  I'm "on top of the world"!








The plant life and flowers at this high altitude are so interesting.








Antonio and I stand by the 4-wheel drive Jeep before we get ready to descend Volcán Barú and return to Boquete, our small town below.  We are bundled up with jackets, since it is quite cold at the top.  I'm feeling a little nervous about the drive down, anticipating that for me it might be a little scarier than the drive up since I'll actually be able to see the road (and all of it's rocky obstacles) since it is no longer pitch dark.  I ask Antonio if he is concerned about the trip down.  He answers me with complete confidence and tells me that while the drive down is more challenging than the drive up, he is not worried in the least bit.  His confidence and many years of experience as a driver (he's done hundreds of these trips up and down the volcano) put me at ease.







This is one rocky road!  There is no way to pass on the left or right, just roll on over the boulders ahead.  This ride was an adventure in and of itself!









More giant boulders ahead...!








Along the way down we passed many beautiful flowers, such as this one.









About halfway down the volcano the clouds had dissipated, and a beautiful view of the valley below (with the Pacific Ocean in the distance) could be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment